zondag 15 januari 2012

It's not crab at all.

Last night I finished the sweater. I am so pleased with the result.




Pattern is from Roos, no. 3000A, which was a gift from her, but you can easily adjust an Ottobre or other pattern.
I liked this one because of the square pocket.


I used a honeycomb stitch for the seams.

I had a lot of trials on the appliqué. Made a tower, made a second one by stitching strait on the fabric (with stitch-and-tear in between), looked on the internet for iron-ons. Thought about making a lighthouse and a rescue band (too obvious). Decided to not add anything at all. And than suddenly, a light bulb went on in my mind and shone on the creatures of the sea. I used them before. Pelle has this lovely book about a tiny little white fish who is searching for his mum. He meets all those animals and the each have a different color. “Is this the mother of little fish?”, “No, this is a crab, and he is red”. So there was my inspiration.


The red crabfish.

I tweaked it a little (both scales up, otherwise the appliqué would be to big), stitched it with a dark thread to make it look a bit sketchy, added a little yellow for the contrast and there it was. The tool to give the sweater it’s personality.



The sweater is very comfy, and I hope he will wear it very much.

(I might change the end of the sleeves, though. Give them a real cuff. I'll see).

1 opmerking:

  1. Cool! I like the colours a lot, and the stitching in the seams is a nice touch. Does Pelle like to wear it?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen